Sunday, January 1, 2017
In keeping with our yearly tradition, we took some time to reflect on the books we read during 2016 and picked a few of our faves. These are the books that punched hard, stuck with us, and left us wrecked (in the best possible way).
In no particular order...
THE GIRL FROM EVERYWHERE by Heidi Heilig - An #ownvoices debut full of adventure, beauty, and heart.
THE RAVEN KING by Maggie Stiefvater - An exciting ending to a truly magical series.
THE COST OF ALL THINGS by Maggie Lehrman - A thoughtful exploration of memory, forgiveness, and consequences.
1. AND I DARKEN by Kiersten White is my top pick this year. Clever, beautiful language, characters to root for, killer world-building. I wish I'd written it!
2. AMONG OTHERS by Jo Walton. I'm not familiar with many of the Sci-Fi author references, but this whole book feels like a secret. This Book! I tell you...this book.
3. A COURT OF MIST AND FURY by Sarah J. Maas. I'm not one to follow the (popular) crowd, but this one made me feeeeeel so much. Addicting, sweeping, fun. Can't go wrong.
Honourable mentions (because reasons): ARCHIVIST WASP by Nicole Kornher-Stace is unforgettable. I still think of this story all the time. It's in my bones. INFANDOUS by Elana K. Arnold was the first book I read this year and not many have topped it!
1. I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN by Jandy Nelson - These characters! Oh, these tortured characters. Every last one is seared into my heart. Guh!
2. STORY OF A GIRL by Sara Zarr - I've never wanted to rescue a character so badly until I met Deanna. The tension between her and her dad... Just. Heartbreaking.
3. FANGIRL by Rainbow Rowell - Such a great, realistic love story between two extremely likable characters. Took me right back to my college days. This book has so much brilliance packed into it. Love, love it.
A few others I reeeaally liked: THE TYRANT'S DAUGHTER by J.C. Carleson, THE GRAVEYARD BOOK by Neil Gaiman, WHEN WE COLLIDED by Emery Lord and ON THE FENCE by Kasie West.
That's it for us! What books did you love this year?
- 2017 (1)
- 2016 (11)
- 2015 (45)
- 2014 (98)
- 2013 (95)
- 2012 (101)
- 2011 (45)
- ► 2015 (45)
- ► 2014 (98)
- ► 2013 (95)
- ► 2012 (101)
on the shelf
© 2011 All words & images above are the creation/property of We Heart YA unless otherwise credited. Powered by Blogger.
- first lines
- males and YA
- Monthly Reads
- new releases
- point of view
- Posts by Ingrid
- Posts by Kristan
- Posts by Sarah
- Posts by Stephanie
- Twitter Tuesday